Hearty Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook cauliflower and carrots in water until tender; set aside (do not drain).
- 2. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage and onion. Add flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add the milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 3. Add cauliflower, carrots and cooking liquid; heat through. Stir in the cheese until melted. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 349 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1250mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein .
Reviews for Hearty Cauliflower Soup
"I have made this soup for many years now. Our four children all loved it and now make it for their families. I modified it by not using as much water to cook the veggies ahead of time. I vary the thickness with the flour and milk white sauce. I also add a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning for kicked up flavor."
"I make this often. It's a great comfort food for the cold winter months!"
"What a delightful soup. We loved it. I'll be making this one again."
"This soup is wonderful and easy to throw together. I probably make it once a month for my family. I reduce fat and calories by using turkey kielbasa or sausage, skim milk, and 2% velveeta. We absolutely love it!"