Our three young children aren't big cauliflower fans. But in this soup, the cauliflower can be mistaken for potatoes, and the rich sausage flavor helps disguise it even more. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.—Sarah Root, Twelve Mile, Indiana
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, cook cauliflower and carrots in water until tender; set aside (do not drain).
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage and onion. Add flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add the milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, carrots and cooking liquid; heat through. Stir in the cheese until melted. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Cauliflower Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1997, p14
Reviews for Hearty Cauliflower Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review