- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Calico Bean Bake
"Love this recipe. I use what beans I have on hand. I often use as a main dish. My family and guests have always loved it!!!"
"I am the recipe submitter. My mom always used the ham, and I included it because I tried to submit it for a ham/pork recipe. However, I no longer put ham in it because of health concerns. That would lower the sodium and fat as well. I think it tastes just as good without the ham."
"This busts my sodium budget for the whole day! Why not find alternatives for high sodium ingredients like pork and beans, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and reduce the amount of ham?"
"I use hamburger, fried with the bacon and onion. I also use butter beans.1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 Tbsp white vinegar. bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour"
"A little Tobasco Sauce to taste gives this recipe a little "kick". You don't need much to feel a tingle or add as much as you like."
"The "original" recipe that I had did not call for molasses or liquid smoke. I think everyone adapts this recipe to suit their own tastes. I don't use the cut wax beans, the ham, or the cheese; however, I think my sause part has more ingredients and I normally triple the sauce part and cook on top of the stove. Instead of the ham, I always put bacon in it (which you fry first with a large diced sweet onion) and the bacon makes it taste wonderfully! My family just loves this recipe!"
"THis is not the original recipe.The original did not call for ham or cheese or even cut wax beans. This recipe leave out the molasses and the liquid smoke. I have been using my recipe since Nov. 1972."