Hearty Calico Bean Bake Recipe
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Calico Bean Bake
Sort By :
Love this recipe. I use what beans I have on hand. I often use as a main dish. My family and guests have always loved it!!!
I am the recipe submitter. My mom always used the ham, and I included it because I tried to submit it for a ham/pork recipe. However, I no longer put ham in it because of health concerns. That would lower the sodium and fat as well. I think it tastes just as good without the ham.
This busts my sodium budget for the whole day! Why not find alternatives for high sodium ingredients like pork and beans, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and reduce the amount of ham?
I use hamburger, fried with the bacon and onion. I also use butter beans.1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 Tbsp white vinegar. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
A little Tobasco Sauce to taste gives this recipe a little "kick". You don't need much to feel a tingle or add as much as you like.