Hearty Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 carton (18.3 ounces) ready-to-serve sweet red pepper soup
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the cabbage, zucchini and mushrooms; cook and stir 8 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in the soup, tomatoes, pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons cheese.
- 3. Serve immediately or cool and freeze in a freezer container. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 230 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 617 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat.