"I didn't have time to make my favorite cabbage rolls one day, so I just threw together this soup and I loved it!" Renee Leary, Citrus Springs, FL
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 carton (18.3 ounces) ready-to-serve sweet red pepper soup
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the cabbage, zucchini and mushrooms; cook and stir 8 minutes longer.
- Stir in the soup, tomatoes, pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons cheese.
- Serve immediately or cool and freeze in a freezer container. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Cabbage Soup in Taste of Home February/March 2010, p50
Reviews for Hearty Cabbage Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review