From Derry, Pennsylvania, Nancy Allman shares this hearty autumn soup featuring smoked sausage. "It's perfect for hurried cooks," Nancy writes. "My mother made it when we had an abundance of cabbage from our garden."
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small cabbage, chopped (about 10 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- In a Dutch oven, bring broth, cabbage and onion to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Add sausage; heat through.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Cabbage Sausage Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 2002, p43
Reviews for Hearty Cabbage-Sausage Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review