Hearty Cabbage-Sausage Soup Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small cabbage, chopped (about 10 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- In a Dutch oven, bring broth, cabbage and onion to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Add sausage; heat through.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Cabbage-Sausage Soup(13)
Sort By :
Loved this easy recipe! I added 1 cup frozen corn and five diced potatoes for a more "stew-like" meal. I also omitted adding any additional salt until then end, and just to taste. Thanks for a hearty weeknight soup recipe that can be prepared quickly!
Good quick soup for supper. As others did, I too doubled and browned the sausage and decreased the salt. This'll be a keeper! Even hubby, who is not wild about cabbage, enjoyed this soup.
I try to get my BF to eat more vegetable. He usually doesn't like cooked cabbage, until this one. I added a teaspoon of Italian seasoning just because I like the smell of it.
5 stars. Have made this numerous times over the years since it was published. Excellent!
So simple and so delicious! A definite keeper! I doubled the recipe, grilled my sausage first, and added a box of white wine, rosemary, thyme and oregano chicken broth, along with regular chicken broth. Plan to add sliced carrots next time, after reading others reviews.