Hearty Cabbage Patch Stew Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 11 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the cabbage, stewed tomatoes, beans, diced tomatoes, ketchup, chili powder, oregano, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until cabbage is tender.
- Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Cabbage Patch Stew
Sort By :
This is super good and easy! Make sure you have a large slow cooker because there is a whole lot of cabbage in here that does shrink down some but when you first start cooking it, it takes up a lot of room. This has a tangy, sort of sour taste (in a good way). Lots of flavor. Added sour cream to my portion when I ate it but my boyfriend did not and he still liked it. Lots of protein without a lot of fat. The cabbage takes place of the noodles for less calories and cabbage is super good for you. I froze some of this and when I reheated those portions it was just as good. Recommend this recipe- thank you!
I wish I could give this 6 stars! Fantastic!
I hate cabbage... BUT THIS RECIPE IS AWESOME!. I'm a diabetic (type 1) and my husband brought this recipe home as a suggestion from a co-worker. I looked at the title and the ingredients and thought, "Eww... I'm NEVER gonna make this." But I love crock-pot recipes and this was so unusual that I figured I'd give it a try. I made it over and over again for 2 months straight. Even my 4-year-old requested it. Absolutely awesome with cheddar and sour cream on top. Tastes just as good re-heated in the microwave as it does fresh from the pot!
This was an excellent dish which my whole family enjoyed. I used 1 teaspoon of chili powder and it was still spicy.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Stew Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >