- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 11 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the cabbage, stewed tomatoes, beans, diced tomatoes, ketchup, chili powder, oregano, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until cabbage is tender.
- Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Cabbage Patch Stew
Sort By :
"Awesome. Next time may use a little beer to make it saucier."
"This is the best slow cooker recipe I've ever made! It's very flavorful and healthy too. Even my kids love it. I had to make it with less cabbage (about a pound) and only one can of stewed tomatoes because my slow cooker was getting too full. Oh- and I forgot to add the ketchup! I didn't make any other changes to the recipe and it turned out fine. Excellent even!!"
"This is super good and easy! Make sure you have a large slow cooker because there is a whole lot of cabbage in here that does shrink down some but when you first start cooking it, it takes up a lot of room. This has a tangy, sort of sour taste (in a good way). Lots of flavor. Added sour cream to my portion when I ate it but my boyfriend did not and he still liked it. Lots of protein without a lot of fat. The cabbage takes place of the noodles for less calories and cabbage is super good for you. I froze some of this and when I reheated those portions it was just as good. Recommend this recipe- thank you!"