Hearty Cabbage Patch Stew Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 11 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the cabbage, stewed tomatoes, beans, diced tomatoes, ketchup, chili powder, oregano, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until cabbage is tender.
- 3. Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (prepared with lean ground beef; calculated without salt and optional toppings) equals 214 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 642 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.