Hearty Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, divided
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heavy whipping cream and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a stockpot, cook sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat 9-11 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; discard drippings.
- Add squash, 1-1/2 cups corn, water and chicken base to same pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pot. Add beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sausage mixture and remaining corn; heat through. If desired, drizzle servings with cream and sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 12 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Butternut Squash Soup(14)
Sort By :
This soup is good but one major thing I would suggest before making it...only use a 3lb sqaush. I had one, weighed it and thought I wouldn't have enough so picked up another small one. They were exactly five pounds together. Peeled with a peeler, it actually worked. I thought the rind would be too thick but it peeled as quick as a cucumber. Followed everything else except used turkey rope sausage. WAY TOO MUCH SQUASH! I had to add several cups of chicken broth to it to make it a thick soup so it wouldn't mound like a side dish. So I figured I had about a doubled recipe here and needed to add more sausage tomatoes...when I was done I had a huge pot of soup. The taste was good, but felt it was missing something. Very filling. Would make again with some carrots and smaller squash!
Hearty is a great discriptive word for this soup! Loaded with full flavor and definite comfort food for fall. Yes the squash did take time to prep but well worth this meal in a bowl!
This recipe was excellent. I have used another butternut squash soup recipe from Taste of Home and not sure which one I like better. Very easy to make. Did not have fire roasted tomatoes so I substitued with raosted garlic and Italian tomatoes. Definately would make again!
I made this today for husband and I. Next time I'll use the more spicy Italian sausage. I could only find cannelloni beans, and used stewed Italian recipe tomatoes. I did 'moosh' them before I added them to the soup. My immersion blender does a nice job of 'mostly' pureeing, before I added the meat, etc. Did not add cream, and didn't have the parsley either. We both loved it. A much more hearty soup than we've tried before - and one I'll make again.
I agree that the prep time was much longer than 20 minutes, but well worth it. The leftovers are ready to go into the freezer.
Loved the soup! It had a great mix of flavors. I liked the sausage but I may try it next time without the sausage for a hearty meatless meal. I am able to purchase butternut squash that is already peeled, seeded and cut. To address people's comments about how time consuming it was to prepare the butternut squash, I was thinking that cutting the squash in half and roasting it in the oven or cooking it with a little bit of water in the microwave until it was soft and could be spooned out of the shell might be a good alternative method. Roasting the halves or pieces in the oven should give it a nice carmelized flavor. Looking forward to making this again.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Squash Soup >
- Squash Soup Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Corn Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Italian Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Potluck Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Soup Recipes >