Hearty Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
The comforting combination of squash, meat, beans and veggies make this my go-to soup in fall. It's full of freshness. —Jaye Beeler, Grand Rapids, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, divided
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heavy whipping cream and minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a stockpot, cook sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat 9-11 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; discard drippings.
- 2. Add squash, 1-1/2 cups corn, water and chicken base to same pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- 3. Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pot. Add beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sausage mixture and remaining corn; heat through. If desired, drizzle servings with cream and sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 12 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without cream) equals 327 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 937 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC