- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots (about 12 ounces)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first ten ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cook, covered, on high 30-45 minutes longer or until stew is slightly thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Hearty Busy-Day Stew
"We thought it was pretty bland. After its full cook time, I threw in 2 bay leaves and about a tablespoon more taco mix and set it on high for an hour, but it didn't save it. :("
"Wow, this stew is amazing! This will now be my go to recipe for beef stew. I made a few changes to the recipe, I added an entire packet of taco seasoning, I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes (one drained, the other undrained) instead of one can and one tomato, I used 2 beef bouillon cubes and 2 C of water instead of a can of broth, for the potatoes, I used a 1.5 lb bag of baby Yukon potatoes cut into bite sized pieces, I also I cut the baby carrots in half. It was done in my crockpot at 5.5 hrs and then I added the cornstarch mixture for an additional 30 mins as instructed."
"Very good--even 11 year old picky eater liked it. Flavor better 2nd and 3rd days! Makes a lot, so should feed a hungry family. It's a keeper and the taco seasoning is not noticeable, just a great flavor that blends."