Hearty Burritos Recipe
Looking for a fast family meal or single serving supper? Try these beyond-compare burritos from Janelle McEachern of Riverside, California. They're chock-full of tasty ingredients and frozen individually, so you can bake only as many as needed.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- Sour cream, chopped tomatoes, guacamole, additional shredded cheddar cheese and salsa, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, beans, tomatoes, corn, salsa, rice, chili powder and salt. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese off-center on each tortilla; top with about 1 cup beef mixture. Fold sides and ends over filling.
- 2. Wrap burritos individually in foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Or place burritos seam side down on a baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until heated through. Serve with the sour cream, tomatoes, guacamole, additional cheese and salsa if desired.
- 4. To use frozen burritos: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake and serve as directed. Yield: 8 burritos.
1 serving (1 each) equals 512 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 1,111 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC