Hearty Brunswick Stew Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. In a Dutch oven, slowly bring the chicken and water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender, skimming the surface as foam rises.
- 2. Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard skin and bones. Cube chicken and return to broth.
- 3. Add the potatoes, onions, beans and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 589 calories, 25 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 1,147 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 40 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Brunswick Stew
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.