Hearty Brunswick Stew Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, slowly bring the chicken and water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender, skimming the surface as foam rises.
- Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard skin and bones. Cube chicken and return to broth.
- Add the potatoes, onions, beans and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hearty Brunswick Stew(2)
Sort By :
This is a thick and tasty stew, although it is not like the spicier, more flavorful Brunswick stew you find here in Georgia. I simmered the chicken in one cup of water according to the recipe in my TOH cookbook.
I've been using this recipe for over 20years. It is by far one of the best stews I've ever had. It's extremely easy to prepare. It has a very good flavor. Definitely a hearty stew.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Stew Recipes >
- Chicken Stews >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >