Hearty Brown Quick Bread
"Not only is this bread high in fiber and low in fat, but it's moist, rich, delicious and filling," assures Susan Lane of Waukesha, Wisconsin. Sweet plump raisins and crunchy pecans make this whole wheat loaf an instant favorite.
32 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugars, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in buttermilk and eggs just until moistened. Fold in raisins
- and nuts.
- Pour into two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 246 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,