"My husband requests these hearty bran muffins for breakfast, but they're also a super snack," writes Elizabeth Probelski of Port Washington, Wisconsin. "These muffins prove that low-fat food doesn't have to be boring."
- 2 cups All-Bran
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the bran, yogurt, applesauce and milk; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg substitute, molasses, oil, vanilla and bran mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Moist Bran Muffins in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p17
Reviews for Hearty Bran Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review