Hearty Black-Eyed Peas Recipe
In Simpsonville, South Carolina, Pauletta Anderson prepares this hearty herb-seasoned combination of sausage, black-eyed peas, tomatoes and green pepper. "Even my sister, who doesn't like black-eyed peas, can't get enough of this delicious dish," she writes.
- 1-1/4 cups cooked bulk pork sausage (1/2 pound uncooked)
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a skillet, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2-4 main-dish servings (4-6 side-dish servings).
1 serving (1 each) equals 251 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 920 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC