In Simpsonville, South Carolina, Pauletta Anderson prepares this hearty herb-seasoned combination of sausage, black-eyed peas, tomatoes and green pepper. "Even my sister, who doesn't like black-eyed peas, can't get enough of this delicious dish," she writes.
- 1-1/4 cups cooked bulk pork sausage (1/2 pound uncooked)
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2-4 main-dish servings (4-6 side-dish servings).
Originally published as Hearty Black-Eyed Peas in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p37
Reviews for Hearty Black-Eyed Peas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 26, 2010
"My family doesn't care for black-eyed peas, but all the flavors together in this recipe was so good, we had no leftovers!"