This recipe is great any time of the year. It's easy to make and tastes so good. I often take it along on summer picnics.
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, toss peas, ham, tomatoes, onions and carrot; set aside. combine dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well. pour over the salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Black-Eyed Pea Salad in Country June/July 1998, p51
Reviews for Hearty Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2013
"I love this recipe!!! I've been making it for years and never get tired of it. It's great for picnics and cookouts."