Hearty Black Bean Soup
Cumin and chili powder give spark to this thick, hearty soup from Amy Chop of Eufaula, Alabama. "If you have leftover meat - smoked sausage, browned ground beef or roast - toss it in for the last 30 minutes of cooking," she says.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (30 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and
- cook on low for 9-11 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve
- with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 130 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.