Cumin and chili powder give spark to this thick, hearty soup from Amy Chop of Eufaula, Alabama. "If you have leftover meat - smoked sausage, browned ground beef or roast - toss it in for the last 30 minutes of cooking," she says.
- 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (30 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Black Bean Soup in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p21
Reviews for Hearty Black Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review