Hearty Black Bean Chili Recipe
Featuring beans, ground beef and chicken, this chili is perfect for those with big appetites.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + standing Cook: 4 hours YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, cook the beef, chicken and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomato sauce, tomatoes and seasonings; mix well.
- 3. Add beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until beans are tender. Serve with cheese and green onions if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 346 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,038 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC