- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, cook the beef, chicken and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomato sauce, tomatoes and seasonings; mix well.
- Add beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until beans are tender. Serve with cheese and green onions if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Black Bean Chili
Sort By :
I am not fond of red kidney beans so the black beans really hit the spot. The combination of flavors and texture make this an awsome meal, especially served with corn bread. And, if you are pressed for time, you can also used canned black beans.
I didn't have the time to use dried black beans, so I used canned. This chili has very good flavor, I'll make it again!