Hearty Beef Vegetable Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat. Meanwhile, place the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Drain meat; add to slow cooker. Combine the tomatoes, tapioca, basil, sugar, salt and pepper; pour over the top.
- 3. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 380 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 458 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Hearty Beef Vegetable Stew
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.