Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup Recipe
My stew-like soup is loaded with nutritious ingredients, yet it's so easy to prepare. I make homemade bread or breadsticks to serve with it. —Sherman Snowball, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 276 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC