- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry or beef broth
- Hot cooked egg noodles or brown rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons flour and salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef in 2 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in tomato paste and remaining flour until smooth. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Carefully return beef mixture to the pan. Add sour cream and sherry; heat through (do not boil). Serve with noodles or rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Hearty Beef Stroganoff(13)
Sort By :
THIS RECIPE IS AMAZING
Delicious with left over pot roast.
I've been making it with hamburger instead. Faster to make. I make it in bulk and then use a food saver to freeze it. Great for when I'm to busy to cook, drop it into a pot of boiling water and make rice.
I used stew meat. Once I had the meat browned and the sauce made, I put it in a 200 degree oven for 4 1/2 hours. I added the sour cream and sherry once I took it out of the oven. I 1 1/2 the sauce and it seemed like there was a lot of sauce for 1 lb. of meat. I also had to thicken the sauce with cornstarch. I'm sure that was because I made it in the oven and not the stove top. It was good, but not anything out of the ordinary.
Turned out pretty well. I left out the butter and used leftover meat I had from a roast. I also did the 1.5 recipe for the sauce as suggested; like that, it covered a whole bag of egg noodles. I'm not sure if that much sauce was totally necessary, but it did make it stretch. I didn't love the sherry flavor, but I'm not a big fan of it anyways.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stroganoff >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinners >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >