Hearty Beef Stew
I DISCOVERED this recipe several years ago when we belonged to a newcomers group. It's a real lifesaver when you have company...and when you live in Florida, you have company often!
Put it in the oven, forget it and be gone for the day with your guests. When you return home, fix a salad, warm some bread and dinner will be ready. The men especially love it!
-Virginia Brown, Hudson, Florida
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 6 to 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 to 5 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups tomato juice
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven or baking dish, layer the first 12 ingredients;
- pour tomato juice over all. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours,
- stirring occasionally, or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 349 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 965 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a