Hearty Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 6 to 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 to 5 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups tomato juice
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven or baking dish, layer the first 12 ingredients; pour tomato juice over all. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Hearty Beef Stew
Sort By :
"This is absolutely the best beef stew I've ever had and/or made--hands down! The thyme and tomato juice, and using tapioca for thickening are, in my opinion, what sets the taste of this beef stew apart from any other."
"Made this stew but I omitted the celery and mushrooms; I added celery seeds instead. Also did not have any bay leaves and I thickened with flour. Turned out pretty good. My husband in a lineman and works out in very cold temps. Sent this with him for lunch a couple of days and he said it warmed him up on the inside. Great recipe."
"This was a super easy recipe to make and I will make it again, I will tweek it to my liking though. I will add a tad more meat next time and definetly more seasoning. It was kinda bland somehow and I followed it exactly."
"Its delicious! The only stew I make."
"I have been making this for a few years. Very easy. I also put in green beans and corn."