- 4 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 quarts hot water
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 8 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 cups tomato juice
- In two Dutch ovens, brown beef and onions in butter in batches; drain. Add the water, vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tomato juice; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until the beef and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 32 servings (8 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Beef Soup
"Recipe turned out to be amazing. I did exclude the potatoes and cabbage and replaced them with egg noodles and a higher amounts of onions, carrots and celery. I also used 3 cups of tomato juice instead of 6.. Just out of personal preference. Good stuff!"
"My son, who hates vegetables of any kind, picked this soup one night. I made it and the whole family LOVED it. What an amazing way to fix vegetables!"
"I have made this recipe several times! My husband doesn't care for soup, but he loves this one! If I'm not making for a group, I'm freezing in our family size portions and lunch bowls that I can grab on the way to work."