Hearty Beef Enchilada Recipe
Created by my daughter, this spicy, meaty and cheesy casserole is great for a get-together with family and friends. I make it frequently for potlucks.—Marina Castle, North Hollywood, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:10 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- Optional ingredients: Sour cream and avocado slices
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- 2. In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer 3 tortillas, beef mixture, broth, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Add 3 tortillas, beans, Mexicorn, green chilies, half of the olives and a 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, cheese and olives.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Serve with sour cream and avocado if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 350 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 1,264 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC