Created by my daughter, this spicy, meaty and cheesy casserole is great for a get-together with family and friends. I make it frequently for potlucks.—Marina Castle, North Hollywood, California
Recommended: 75 Winning Recipes For Your Super Bowl Potluck
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- Optional ingredients: Sour cream and avocado slices
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer three tortillas, beef mixture, broth, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Add three tortillas, beans, Mexicorn, green chilies, half of the olives and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, cheese and olives.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Serve with sour cream and avocado if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Beef Enchilada in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p20
Reviews for Hearty Beef Enchilada
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 29, 2014
"Very good flavor, however, 6 hours was way too long to cook this in my crockpot. It burned on the bottom and sides. It was also a little dry, but that could be because it burned."