Hearty Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound lean beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat or until the meat is no longer pink. Remove beef and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender. Add the broth, carrots, garlic powder, thyme and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Add barley and beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the meat, vegetables and barley are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 300 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Beef Barley Soup
"I have to agree that this tasts just like broth. The first time I made it,I followed the recipe and it definitely needed doctoring up. So the second time I took some suggestions from here and added Worchestershire sauce, basil, bay leaves, and more barley. Helped a little but not enough. I was hoping this would be THE recipe."