- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds lean beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender. Add the broth, carrots, garlic powder, thyme and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Add barley and beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the meat, vegetables and barley are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Beef Barley Soup in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p68
Reviews for Hearty Beef Barley Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 28, 2012
I've made this soup several times. My husband and I both really enjoy it. It goes together quickly and has a nice full flavor.