- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Beef and Barley Soup
Sort By :
"too much sodium"
"I made this with leftover eye round that I cubed and browned in oil. This was exactly what I was looking for in a beef barley soup. Simply delicious!!!"
"Quick to put together, easy to make and tastes delicious ust as written. Oh yeah,and good for you too. Make it often now I found this recipe!!!"
"This soup is awesome. I prepared it for my book club and they gobbled it down. I made just a couple of changes. I used lean ground beef instead of round steak and added a little thyme to give it a tad more flavor. This is definitely a five star recipe. Here is a link to my review and photo: http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/894054/7744168.aspx#7744168"