Hearty Beef & Cabbage Pockets Recipe
- 24 frozen dough Texas-size whole wheat dinner rolls (3 pounds total), thawed
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, grated
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons water
- Caraway seeds
- 1. Let dough stand at room temperature 30-40 minutes or until softened. In a Dutch oven, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium heat 12-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking meat into crumbles; drain. Stir in carrots, chilies, mustard, salt and pepper. Add cabbage in batches; cook and stir until tender.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, press or roll each dinner roll into a 5-in. circle. Top with a heaping 1/3 cup filling; bring edges of dough up over filling and pinch to seal.
- 3. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray, seam side down. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 4. Whisk egg whites and water; brush over tops. Sprinkle with caraway seeds. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. Freeze option: Freeze baked and cooled pockets in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, reheat pockets on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray in a preheated 350° oven 30-35 minutes or until heated through; cover loosely with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 stuffed pocket equals 239 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 379 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.