I love cooking, and often share my soups with my co-workers—and they're happy I do. This one is perfect for late summer, because it has a lot of zippy flavor but isn't as heavy as chili. I use my homegrown cayenne peppers in the recipe. —Lori Steiner, Maquoketa, Iowa
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (13-1/2 ounces) beef smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Drain.
Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 10 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Beef & Bean Soup in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014
Reviews for Hearty Beef & Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review