Hearty Bean Stew Recipe
From Regina, Saskatchewan, Penny Giles writes, “A Canadian prairie winter can be bone-chilling. A bowl of this meatless stew over couscous, rice or with cornbread is all it takes to warm us up. It’s hearty, tasty and—unbeknownst to your family—healthy, too!“ stew can be served over rice (note to editors: this is not meatless because of the beef broth)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender; add the garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the beans, tomato paste, chili powder and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups (calculated with reduced-sodium broth) equal 314 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 708 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 16 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Bean Stew
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC