Hearty Bean Soup
This soup is convenient to simmer all day in a slow cooker and your family will love it.Alice Schnoor, Arion, Iowa
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours 10 min.
- 3 cups chopped parsnips
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups dried great northern beans
- 5 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, place parsnips, carrots and onion. Top with
- beans. Add water, ham, garlic, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove meat and bones when cool enough to handle. Cut meat into
- bite-size pieces and return to slow cooker; heat through. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 608 calories, 27 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 916 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 14 g fiber, 43 g protein.