- 3 cups chopped parsnips
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups dried great northern beans
- 5 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, place parsnips, carrots and onion. Top with beans. Add water, ham, garlic, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove meat and bones when cool enough to handle. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to slow cooker; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Bean Soup(7)
Sort By :
I have made this recipe severals times and it has become a family favorite! It is so easy and simple. I have substituted celery & more carrots for the parsnips. I use a ham bone instead of the hocks and it turns out great. This is one recipre that I will use over and over. It's one I can put together, set the timer on the crock pot & have a hot meal after a day of work or play.
I used diced potatoes instead of parsnips because I didn't have those on hand and I used a ham bone. I added more pepper than the recipe called for, but this soup was a hit. My hubby who I would have never guessed to like bean soup ate this up! He even took some to work the next day for his buddies. Always a good sign!
Delish! This is the way I remember bean soup to be. Hardy. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it really was fantastic.
Very good basic bean soup. I substituted extra carrots, and celery for the parsnips. Will definitely make it again. Possibly going to try other meats-sausage, smoked turkey kielbasa...?
I have made this soup several times now. I also used potatoes to replace the parsnips, and my family doesn't care for large bits of onion so I reduced the amount, minced them instead, and added some onion powder. I also just use the bone and left overs from a picnic ham. My family cant get enough. I keep the carrots and potatoes really large so they don't get to soft also.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >