Hearty Bean Salad
I discovered this salad years ago when I was a teenager in a 4-H club. After I was married, I used the recipe as a base and added different beans and water chestnuts for more crunch. The dressing is most important, getting the right balance between the sweet and the sour.
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl,
- whisk the dressing ingredients; pour over bean mixture and toss to
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir before serving. Serve
- with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 156 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 665 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.