I discovered this salad years ago when I was a teenager in a 4-H club. After I was married, I used the recipe as a base and added different beans and water chestnuts for more crunch. The dressing is most important, getting the right balance between the sweet and the sour.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients; pour over bean mixture and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Bean Salad in Reminisce October/November 2009, p50
Reviews for Hearty Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2011
"This is he best bean salad I ever had and I'm 67 years old. Found recipe 10days ago and made two double batches since"