Hearty Barley Beef Soup Recipe
A big slice of sourdough bread goes great with a bowl of this heart-warming soup that's brimming with beef and barley. --Megan Taylor
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds lean beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender. Add the broth, carrots, garlic powder, thyme and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Add barley and beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the meat, vegetables and barley are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 296 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 451 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Barley Beef Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC