Hearty Barley Beef Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds lean beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender. Add the broth, carrots, garlic powder, thyme and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Add barley and beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the meat, vegetables and barley are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 296 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein
Reviews for Hearty Barley Beef Soup
"I've made this soup several times. My husband and I both really enjoy it. It goes together quickly and has a nice full flavor."