Hearty Barley Bake Recipe
Barley is a nice change of pace from the usual pasta or rice in this colorful casserole from Jenny Browning of Cypress, Texas. It's chock-full of spicy sausage and a variety of vegetables including spinach, carrots and corn.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 ounces Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1-1/2 cups cooked barley
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, carrots and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add to mushroom mixture. Stir in the barley, corn, spinach, onions, savory, thyme, marjoram and pepper.
- 3. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 290 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 591 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC