Barley is a nice change of pace from the usual pasta or rice in this colorful casserole from Jenny Browning of Cypress, Texas. It's chock-full of spicy sausage and a variety of vegetables including spinach, carrots and corn.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 ounces bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1-1/2 cups cooked barley
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, carrots and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add to mushroom mixture. Stir in the barley, corn, spinach, onions, savory, thyme, marjoram and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Barley Bake in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p19
Reviews for Hearty Barley Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 14, 2014
"We did not like this recipe."
Reviewed Feb. 7, 2011
"So good, so different, and great as leftovers!"
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2011
"Flavorful. You can easily halve this recipe for a smaller crowd. This made a 9x13 pan. We will be enjoying it for several days."