My mother has been making this stew since the 1940s and prepared it for our family many times through the years. It's loaded with vegetables for wonderful flavor and pretty presentation. - Judith Wood, Fredericktown, Ohio
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and carrots. Crumble beef over carrots. Layer with the tomatoes, peas and onions. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Baked Stew in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p123
Reviews for Hearty Baked Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review