- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 slice bread, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, tapioca, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve in bowls. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Baked Beef Stew
"Good stew; easy to prepare."
"I use can deer meat and it works just as good."
"Wonderful! Very filling, easy to put together. A great meal all by itself."
"This is an easy way to make stew--I don't even bother to peel the potatoes and they come out just fine. The meat is tender, the veggies all cooked just right. My husband and I both love it. I do cut down on the salt a bit and it still tastes great."
"I found this recipe years ago (about 14 years ago) and loved it! My Mom who hated beef stew loved this recipe. It's not a newly created dish but it is a family favorite here!"