"This is such an easy way to make a wonderful beef stew," beams Doris Sleeth of Naples, Florida. "You don't need to brown the meat first—just combine it with hearty chunks of carrots, potatoes and celery...and let it all cook together in a flavorful gravy. My daughter Karen came up with the recipe for her busy family."
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 slice bread, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, tapioca, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve in bowls. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Baked Beef Stew in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p34
Reviews for Hearty Baked Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review