Hearty Baked Beans for Two
Old-fashioned baked-bean flavor gets jazzed up with garlic, brown sugar and mustard in our Test Kitchen’s easy, downsized version of this family favorite.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bacon strip, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (8 ounces) pork and beans
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a small skillet, saute onion and bacon until onion is tender;
- drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the pork and beans,
- kidney beans, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard. Cook, uncovered, for
- 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and
- bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 265 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 577 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 13 g protein.