Hearty Backyard Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 rye rolls or whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Cover and grill over medium-high heat or broil 4 in. from the grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- 4. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato slices. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger equals 307 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 686 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Reviews for Hearty Backyard Burgers
"This is a family favorite."
"I make these burgers often - this is one of my husband's favorite recipes."
"you can get rye rolls at most bakkeries or even at your local grocery store"
"so where do you get rye rolls?"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.